3.09.2006

Port Deal Nixed....

This is an interesting developement. Initially I was against the port deal (admittedly a knee jerk reaction). Then I thought about things and I couldn't think of truly good reason for me to be against it. But then I learned a few things. So honestly, this seems to be the best solution.

"Because of the strong relationship between the United Arab Emirates and the United States and to preserve that relationship, DP World has decided to transfer fully the U.S. operation of P&O Operations North America to a United States entity," DP World's chief operating officer, Edward H. Bilkey, said in a statement, read on the Senate floor by Sen. John Warner, R-Va.

The company said its decision was "based on an understanding that DP World will have time to affect the transfer in an orderly fashion and that DP World will not suffer economic loss."


My support of the deal was essentially based on their value as an ally and information source, but I wasn't at all comfortable with getting into bed with people who boycott Israel. Then with shady nature of the off made- well, my support was reduced to my concern of losing an Arab ally. That concern is a legitimate one, because we can't allow the extremists to frame this war as the West vs Islam. This war is about Civilization vs Barbarism. However that concern, valid as it is, is not justification to surrender our judgment when it comes to just how much of an ally any given country may be. The UAE's credibility as an ally leaves a good deal of room for doubt.

This way whatever value the UAE has as an ally is essentially kept in tact, but they don't run our ports. It's kind of a win-win situation for us. That doesn't happen often- for anyone. Let's just hope that it's not a lie.

Michelle Malkin, who is far wiser than I, never wavered in her oppostion and has a collection of news coverage on the annoucement. One day, I'll have the wisdom to see better. For now, I'll just have to just have to study extra hard.

No comments: